- Weigh ham & calculate cooking time, 20 minutes per 500g
- Place the ham in a large saucepan with onion, peppercorns, bay leaves and 650 ml of ginger beer
- Add enough water to just cover the ham and bring to the boil, cover with a lid
- Turn down and simmer for the calculated time
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Heat honey, sugar and 100ml of Ginger beer in a saucepan
- Simmer to make a sticky glaze about 15 minutes
- Once heated through, remove ham from the saucepan and let steam off for 10minutes
- Carefully and evenly remove the rind and score the fat into a diamond pattern
- Place ham into a roasting dish and press a clove into the centre of each diamond
- Then spoon over the glaze and bake, basting regularly, for 20-25 minutes or until the fat is golden, glistening and crisp
- Warm up all the ingredients so they dissolve
- Use a glazing brush to glaze the ham with the dissolved ingredients
Christmas Catering Tip
- If Christmas day is forecast to be stinking hot, cook roast meats and hams a day or two before in the cool of the night or early morning. Serve sliced as cold meat platters with crusty bread, salads and cold condiments such as mint jelly, chutneys, mustards etc.
Stephan Muller owner of the Wursthutte since 2013.
Old Werner Muller started the Wursthutte Butcher Shop in Malvern more than 35 years ago. Werner's goal was to produce the most authentic sausages for his Australian customers. 13 years ago, Stephan Muller, Werner’s nephew, arrived from Luzern Switzerland to help out his uncle and learn from him. Stephan, a sixth generation Butcher, then became the owner of the Wursthutte and continues the family legacy today in a very competitive market.